• Register
PhysicsOverflow is a next-generation academic platform for physicists and astronomers, including a community peer review system and a postgraduate-level discussion forum analogous to MathOverflow.

Welcome to PhysicsOverflow! PhysicsOverflow is an open platform for community peer review and graduate-level Physics discussion.

Please help promote PhysicsOverflow ads elsewhere if you like it.


PO is now at the Physics Department of Bielefeld University!

New printer friendly PO pages!

Migration to Bielefeld University was successful!

Please vote for this year's PhysicsOverflow ads!

Please do help out in categorising submissions. Submit a paper to PhysicsOverflow!

... see more

Tools for paper authors

Submit paper
Claim Paper Authorship

Tools for SE users

Search User
Reclaim SE Account
Request Account Merger
Nativise imported posts
Claim post (deleted users)
Import SE post

Users whose questions have been imported from Physics Stack Exchange, Theoretical Physics Stack Exchange, or any other Stack Exchange site are kindly requested to reclaim their account and not to register as a new user.

Public \(\beta\) tools

Report a bug with a feature
Request a new functionality
404 page design
Send feedback


(propose a free ad)

Site Statistics

205 submissions , 163 unreviewed
5,054 questions , 2,207 unanswered
5,345 answers , 22,719 comments
1,470 users with positive rep
818 active unimported users
More ...

  Reference request: Susskind-Glogower original paper

+ 4 like - 0 dislike

I'm trying to find Susskind and Glogower's original paper,

L. Susskind and J. Glogower, Quantum mechanical phase and time operator, Physics 1 (1964) 49-61,

where they propose their exponential and sine-cosine phase operators (i.e. $\widehat{\textrm{exp}}(i\phi)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty |n\rangle\langle n+1|$ and friends). This paper has a huge number of citations, both from papers that discuss the formalism directly, as well as papers that deal with other formulations of the quantum phase.

However, it was published in a pretty obscure and apparently short-lived journal and I can't find it either online or in print. (I'm also beginning to question how many people have actually read this paper...) Can anyone point me to an online resource that has this or to a print library (preferably in England) that has it?

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
asked Apr 11, 2012 in Theoretical Physics by Emilio Pisanty (520 points) [ no revision ]
retagged Mar 18, 2014 by dimension10
That's the second paper I hear about from this journal (and from the same volume 1), the other being John Bell's paper on the Bell inequality ! It was apparently an obscure journal with a clever editor !

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
I never read the original paper. But I found http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/9304036.pdf to be a pretty good exposition -- probably after reading this you won't need the original paper anymore.

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
@ZoharKo: yes, Nieto's review is one of the best expositions I've seen. It is pretty standard material by now and included e.g. in Gerry and Knight. It's not so much knowing the material as citing a paper I've not read that bugs me.

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)

1 Answer

+ 2 like - 0 dislike

Through Google Books I was able to find this, but I can't actually tell if it contains the article. If you type a specific search into the "From inside the book" box, you should be able to find out. From my probings it appears that it does (I searched for "time operator," and the paper title is clearly on the page header). You can also search for other articles that were published in that journal and see if they show up inside the book.

On the left it has a "Find in a library" link which is probably your only bet. Good luck.

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
answered Apr 12, 2012 by amr (20 points) [ no revision ]
Thing is, I cannot even find an archive with the journal contents. The journal title makes it very much difficult to google - what does one look for? "Physics"? "physics journal"?

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
Actually, the find a library gives results in UK (The British Library and The Cambridge University Library). Look with the librarian at your institution if he can receive a scan through inter-library lending.

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)
I checked with the British Library and it looks like they do have it. I'll update as soon as I'm able to go.

This post has been migrated from (A51.SE)

Your answer

Please use answers only to (at least partly) answer questions. To comment, discuss, or ask for clarification, leave a comment instead.
To mask links under text, please type your text, highlight it, and click the "link" button. You can then enter your link URL.
Please consult the FAQ for as to how to format your post.
This is the answer box; if you want to write a comment instead, please use the 'add comment' button.
Live preview (may slow down editor)   Preview
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
If you are a human please identify the position of the character covered by the symbol $\varnothing$ in the following word:
Then drag the red bullet below over the corresponding character of our banner. When you drop it there, the bullet changes to green (on slow internet connections after a few seconds).
Please complete the anti-spam verification

user contributions licensed under cc by-sa 3.0 with attribution required

Your rights