I somewhat agree with this proposal...
Note that the page would really be /activity/main, since we don't want to show meta posts on the main page.
But we have to note this...
My own modification of the proposal would be to have a new page type (only polarkernel can do this, I hope this isn't too difficult!) that contains
- Only main posts (in the Q&A section)
- Including questions, comments, and answers
- but not edits, including retagging and recategorisation too
This page can be called "posts" and this could be made the main page. This has the advantage that the new questions won't be drowned either, yet you can bump posts by commenting, and all new posts (including comments) can be seen on the main page.
But this may be quite difficult to make...
But we would eventually need a main page, that in addition to the forementioned properties, also
- Shows featured questions, even if they are meta posts
- Shows new activity in reviews too but not paper imports