• Register
PhysicsOverflow is a next-generation academic platform for physicists and astronomers, including a community peer review system and a postgraduate-level discussion forum analogous to MathOverflow.

Welcome to PhysicsOverflow! PhysicsOverflow is an open platform for community peer review and graduate-level Physics discussion.

Please help promote PhysicsOverflow ads elsewhere if you like it.


New printer friendly PO pages!

Migration to Bielefeld University was successful!

Please vote for this year's PhysicsOverflow ads!

Please do help out in categorising submissions. Submit a paper to PhysicsOverflow!

... see more

Tools for paper authors

Submit paper
Claim Paper Authorship

Tools for SE users

Search User
Reclaim SE Account
Request Account Merger
Nativise imported posts
Claim post (deleted users)
Import SE post

Users whose questions have been imported from Physics Stack Exchange, Theoretical Physics Stack Exchange, or any other Stack Exchange site are kindly requested to reclaim their account and not to register as a new user.

Public \(\beta\) tools

Report a bug with a feature
Request a new functionality
404 page design
Send feedback


(propose a free ad)

Site Statistics

205 submissions , 163 unreviewed
5,037 questions , 2,191 unanswered
5,345 answers , 22,706 comments
1,470 users with positive rep
816 active unimported users
More ...

  Copyright issues

+ 3 like - 0 dislike

On sites in the Stack Exchange network, the core of the Terms of Service is this statement:

"You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike license."

From my point of view as a Stack Exchange user this is very nice, because (as I interpret it; IANAL) it means I actually own my own content, but just license it out to Stack Exchange. It's also very nice for this site, because it means we can legally import questions from SE sites without needing permission.

There's a couple of issues relating to this that I'd like to open for discussion:

1. For posts imported from SE sites, there has to be a notice along the lines of "this user contribution licensed under cc by-sa 3.0 with attribution required" (with a link to the license), otherwise you're violating the terms of the license. (You will find a notice along these lines at the bottom of every Stack Exchange page.)

2. Does Physics Overflow have a similar policy? I.e. are all Physics Overflow posts owned by the user and licensed to PO under a CC license? I've always thought this was a rather enlightened policy of Stack Exchange and I'd be very happy if PO went the same route. If that's how it's meant to work here it would be good to have a ToS that makes it clear. (And conversely, if that's not how it is here, it would be nice to have a clear "all your posts belong to us" type of ToS, just so we know.)

asked Apr 8, 2014 in Discussion by Nathaniel (495 points) [ no revision ]

Yup, it's a good idea to discuss this. I was thinking of the same thing recently. 

Since we import questions from SE, we may need to have an at least as liberal copyright as they do.  

I think it's a no-brainer. We should add a little bit about the proper way to reference content in an academic journal, as MO does.

Just added a link in the footer, with the same text as on SE or MO.  

@Ron Maimon Added about referencing in the FAQ. Copied BibTeX from MO.  

1 Answer

+ 3 like - 0 dislike

I went over the cc-by-sa before contributing anything to SE, and it was an ideal license. I think we should make this license standard in the same way (owner agrees to license all content to physics.overflow under cc-by-sa 3.0), and display the notice, same as SE does. I think this is not controversial at all, right?

answered Apr 8, 2014 by Ron Maimon (7,720 points) [ no revision ]

Yup, and we have to use an at least as liberal license as SE does since we allow editing of their content here.    

To be clear, you need to relicense the CC-BY-SA content you import with the same license, it's part of the deal. You have no choice in that.

You can choose a different, less restrictive license for your own original content, but I don't know how practical it would be.

Your answer

Please use answers only to (at least partly) answer questions. To comment, discuss, or ask for clarification, leave a comment instead.
To mask links under text, please type your text, highlight it, and click the "link" button. You can then enter your link URL.
Please consult the FAQ for as to how to format your post.
This is the answer box; if you want to write a comment instead, please use the 'add comment' button.
Live preview (may slow down editor)   Preview
Your name to display (optional):
Privacy: Your email address will only be used for sending these notifications.
Anti-spam verification:
If you are a human please identify the position of the character covered by the symbol $\varnothing$ in the following word:
Then drag the red bullet below over the corresponding character of our banner. When you drop it there, the bullet changes to green (on slow internet connections after a few seconds).
Please complete the anti-spam verification

user contributions licensed under cc by-sa 3.0 with attribution required

Your rights