Update: Please do not block spam IPs any longer. Only users. If an IP spam attack becomes too difficult to manage, temporarily block the IP and inform polarkernel.
First of all, blocking on Physics Overflow should be done in discretion, and not like on most sites. A block should not be one you would consider lifting in the future. Users who are frank (and knowledgable, too, I am not talking about users who are frank but stupid) should be be given expert/editor priviledges, not blocked.
Users who should be blocked are:
- Spammers (Block and delete on first sight)
- Trolls without any content contribution (Block after two warnings)
- Gibberish posters (Block and delete after two warnings)
- Off-topic* posters (Block after four warnings)
- Users who request a block (Block on first sight of request, if request is less than 3 days old) )
- Users who request deletion (Block and delete on first sight of < 3 days oldrequest only in DISCRETION! We are not obliged to delete all users who request deletion.)
I think we should also have a barbaric culture of keeping these blocked users for other users to "pelt stones" at these displayed users : )
Joking aside, we should keep a public block log, with the exact reason for blocking/deleting, to be completely transparent as to why some one was blocked.
Ok, so this has been agreed upon, so moderators (++); please post the usernames of the blocked users, together with the blocked reason, and link to previous public discussion about the user if any.
*off-topic: Posts off-topic to both the site and to the thread are considered "off-topic" to qualify for this block category. Posts that are only off-topic to the thread, but not to the site, will be moved to chat or deleted if worthless.